Apr 292014
 

I don’t think of myself as a particularly creative person but I do enjoy creating and restoring things for my home.  It is this interest that has sustained me during 3 years of renovations, and I’m quite sure it’s genetic. When I was growing up I remember my Mum visiting antique stores and restoring furniture on weekends.  Of course, when I was younger this didn’t interest me at all and I’m sure I’m complained constantly about being dragged into another antique or second-hand store.

My, how the tables have turned.  Now I love to visit vintage stores, although I don’t seem to have inherited my Mum’s talent for finding a diamond in the rough.  I find myself driving slowly up and down the streets whenever the kerbside collection is on in my neighbourhood.  Just the other day, I pulled over to throw two 50′s dinnette style vinyl chairs into my car – despite the pervading smell of mould.

It should therefore come as no surprise to learn that when I wanted a new desk, I decided it wasn’t enough to buy another mass-produced mdf number from a big box store.  I wanted something a little different, something that would give me a new project and stretch my creative juices.

That’s how J and I ended up in a salvage yard early one Saturday morning, sorting through piles of floorboards.

Desk in progress
Once the materials were acquired, assembly was actually fairly simple.  For once, the gods of DIY were favouring us!

The floor boards are tongue and groove, so we laid them out first to ensure we would avoid any large cracks or flaws.  We then glued them together with wood glue, flat on a piece of mdf we had lying around.  We braced the floorboards between two wooden chocks screwed directly into the mdf and braced against our garage wall.

Once the glue was cured, we used a piece of decking timber, cut into three even pieces, as bracing and screwed in the bottom of every second floorboard.  We used the unfinished side of the floorboards as the top, to simplify the sanding and finishing process.  A little time with the belt sander and both coarse and fine sand paper before we finished the top with some restoring polish and 3 coats of Gilly Stephenson’s cabinet maker’s wax.  Throw on a couple of Ikea Lerberg trestle legs in white and we were in business.

After some thought and patience (never one of my strengths) we ended up with this computer desk.  I am in love.

IMG_0038

 

In fact, it turned out the hardest part of the whole project was corralling all of the computer cords under the desk!